Thursday, December 20, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments

Do you remember as a kid creating ornaments (or other little figurines) from salt dough?  I do!  My mom would make a batch of this interesting dough and I'd spend the afternoon creating.  I even remember tasting the dough - I couldn't resist - but, trust me, it's not good!

It was so much fun sculpting and creating and I couldn't wait until the ornaments came out of the oven.  Once they were cooled, I would paint them and add more decorations.  (I think this is always how we created the hand print decoration each year in school to give our parents.)

Seeing this project that Stampin' Up! has created, takes me back to those days!  This one uses the snowflake from the Holidays Sweet Pressed Coolie Stamps.

Are you ready to make some of your own creations from salt dough?  This would be a fun activity to do with the kids (or grand kids) over the holidays!

Salt Dough Recipe: (Thank you Stampin' Up! for this fun project & recipe!)
  • 1 Cup Salt
  • 1 Cup Plain Flour
  • Up to 1 cup of water (add gradually)

Combine the salt and flour and then pour in the water gradually, stopping when it has become dough-like and not too sticky.  There should be no residue left on your fingers when you touch it.  Knead it on a floured surface for a few minutes to make it soft, workable and stretchy.

Take a small ball of dough and press it with the Sweet Pressed Cookie Stamp.  Poke a straw through the center near the top so that ribbon can be threaded through later.  Cut it out and lay it on a non-stick cookie sheet.  Cook on VERY low heat (around 202 degrees F) for up to 3 hours.  If the ornament is over 1 cm thick, it will probably need to be turned over during cooking.

Happy stamping in dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment