Monday, September 21, 2015

My Top 5 Tips for New Stampers - Tip #1 and Tip #2

I received an email the other day from my friend Brenda who had just created her own card from scratch.  Here's what her email said:

"So it took me almost 3 hours the other night to create this one card. Between trying to decide what to do and then cutting and recutting paper (because I didn't cut the correct size!) to the actual making.  What are some helpful tips to being ready when you sit down to do card making? Do you have pre-cut cards already (similar to when we come to stamp class) so that when you have some time to make a few cards just pick the various size paper/color to go with style. When you make one, do you make 3 or 4 of same at same time?"

My friend was so proud of her card (as she should be!) but was discouraged by the amount of time it had taken her to make it. Have you ever felt that way?  You're excited to get started but then 3 hours later, you might have one card or project to show for all that time.  I had the same experience when I first started stamping, too!

Her email has inspired me to create today's blog post - all about tips and suggestions for those who are new to stamping and don't want to spend a ton of hours just making a card or tow.


Tip #1Find Inspiration
When I sit down to stamp, I first need to find a little inspiration and for that, I turn to the Stampin' Up! catalogs (Annual catalog and the Holiday catalog) as well as Splitcoaststampers.  Splitcoast has a wealth of card ideas!  Simply type the name of the stamp set in the search box (in the gallery) and you'll get page after page of ideas.

Finding inspiration helps give me a starting point.  If I find a card I like, I start playing.  Don't worry if you don't have all the supplies in your inspiration piece - use what you have!  Change the stamps, paper and/or ink and you'll be amazed at your own card creation!

In the crafting world, this is called "CASEing" - Copy and Share Everything.  Copying is the highest form of flattery. It's not a bad thing to copy.  If you do copy a card exactly (using same colors, images, paper, etc.), give credit to the originator.  

Tip #2 - Make More Than One Card at a Time
Once I have found my inspiration card or idea, I will usually make 2, 4 or 8 cards at a time.  Since you can get 2 cards from one piece of 8.5" X 11" card stock, it's easier to cut for multiplies rather than one card at a time.

Card stock bases generally are 8.5" X 5.5" (scored at 4 1/4") or 4 1/4" X 11" (scored at 5.5"). 

It only take a few extra minutes to cut more card stock or to stamp a few more pieces and when you're done crafting, you'll feel so much more accomplished to have lots of cards instead of just one.


I hope you have found these first couple tips handy!  If you have any questions about getting started stamping OR if you have a suggestion to help new stampers, please leave a comment!  I'd love to hear your feedback and ideas.

Here's to a happy stamping experience!








No comments:

Post a Comment