Tuesday, September 22, 2015

New Stampers - Tips #3 and #4

Based on my friend's email, I've created a list of my Top 5 Tips for New Stampers and today I will be sharing with you Tip #3 and Tip #4.

Tip #3 - Sizing of Mats (Basic Pieces for a Card)

To mat a stamped piece of card stock:  Let's say I stamp a sentiment on a square piece of paper that measures 2".  If I want a thin border of card stock, I will cut a mat measuring 2 1/4" X 2 1/4".  If I want a bigger mat, then the card stock would be cut 2.5" X 2.5".

To make a mat for the front of a card:  Sometimes I will create mats that will be based on the dimensions of the front of my card (and not based on my stamped piece).  Since the front of the card measures 4 1/4" X 5 1/2", I could simply take off 1/4" or 1/2" (based on how big I want the "border) of my mats.  I know that any one of the following mats would look good on the front of my card:
4" X 5 1/4"
3 3/4" X 5"
3 1/2" X 4 3/4"
3 1/4" X 4 1/2"
etc.

Thin borders, I would cut:
4 1/8" X 5 3/8"
4" X 5 /14"
etc.

In the sample picture below, the front of the card measures 4 1/4" X 5.5".  The Early Espresso mat is 4" X 5 1/4" and the embossed Very Vanilla piece of card stock measures 3 3/4" X 5".  (For an even thinner mat, you could also cut this piece to 3 7/8" X 5 1/8".) 


Tip #4 - Don't Get Discouraged (Just Keep Stamping, Stamping...)

You will get faster as you go!  Don't be discouraged!  Keep playing!  The next time you sit down to make a card, it will go faster. And, once you have a design you like, try changing an element on it (change the paper, sentiment, stamp used, etc.) and you'll be shocked at not only how fast it goes but how different the card looks!  Once I find a design/layout I like, I stick with it and use it over and over (why re-invent the wheel right?).

In the immortal words of Dorie the fish, "Just keep stamping, just keep stamping, stamping, stamping," or was that "swimming?".  Ha! Ha!


If you are a new stamper (or paper crafter) and have questions for me, please comment below.  I'd love to help you out however I can!  If you are a seasoned stamper and would like to share a tip, please also comment! I appreciate the feedback!  (And, I know there are lots of other tips out there that I haven't thought of.)

Here's to more fun stamping and creating!



No comments:

Post a Comment