Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Homeschooling Mom & Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

I have been debating for several weeks now about wanting to write a blog post that shares a little bit about what's going on in my life and at the same time keep the lines of business versus personal intact.  All my classes on business blogging say keep business, business and personal stuff, personal.  Recently, however, I've taken on a new adventure and it is affecting my business life, so to speak, and I thought I'd share some of what's going on with you, my readers, customers, stampers and friends!

My new adventure is homeschooling!  We started this adventure just a couple months ago with excitement and gusto and recently I've been wondering, "What have I done?".  The excitement is started to fizzle and instead of gusto, I feel overwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong.   I know I am so blessed to have this opportunity but man it's tough!  Some days it's all I can do to keep my head above water!

The time and attention I would normally apply to my business has shifted to my kids.  That's a great thing and I'm so glad a home-based business has that flexibility but at the same time, I miss having that time to focus just on my business.  I've heard it said before that "having a home-based business is both the best and hardest thing to do".  Now I know why.  It's a constant balance of house stuff (laundry, dishes, etc.), business stuff (blog posts, videos, FB posts, etc.) and school stuff (homework, reading, writing...you get the idea).

Let me back up a minute and tell you a little about myself.  I am a teacher by trade.  I taught school for 6 years before staying home to raise my kiddos (my kids are 9 and 11.).  They both went to public school up until this point.  This year I felt that homeschooling was the best for our family and for the kids so I jumped in with both feet!

Now, here's the crazy thing - I can teach a room full of 22 kids but teaching my own two children has been the biggest challenge yet!  I'm usually a very organized and focused person and lately, I feel like I've just been floundering.  I can't seem to find the time to plan ahead and get organized (both on homeschool stuff and stamping stuff).

So, if you happen to notice that I've skipped a blog post (or two, or three) or wondered why I haven't created a new video in awhile or haven't posted to FB, you'll know that I'm still learning and adjusting to this new adventure.


All of this to say:
  • Thank You for hanging in there with me!
  • Thank you for your patience and understanding while I figure out how to balance it all!
  • I'm still stamping, creating and loving being a Stampin' Up! demonstrator!
  • Thank you for your support and encouragement!  My stamping friends mean the world to me and I'm truly blessed by your friendship!
 Are there any other moms out that that are homeschooling and running a home-based business?  I really need to start a support group for us!  If this is you, please send me a message or leave your comments!  I'd love to pick your brain on how you balance it all.

Happy Stamping and Homeschooling!



2 comments:

  1. Check out www.luvinstampinup.blogspot.com
    She is teaching her kindergartener and stampin up.
    Thoughts and prayers for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christi, I think you are doing a wonderful job. You always have something fresh and new for us stampers to do. Just getting your son to cut the paper for class was teaching him math! I went to public school and got a good education and i STILL can cut correctly. Breathe in some goodness and say "I got this."

    ReplyDelete